Four persons, including two policemen, were gunned down Tuesday afternoon by a berserk man who was later shot dead by lawmen who invaded a house on Middle Street, Georgetown."The police subsequently stormed the building and came under fire from Deryck Kanhai. The ranks returned fire and he was fatally shot," Police Force spokesman, Ivelaw Whittaker said in a statement,
Those killed by the assailant were policemen Lance Corporal 20293 Michael Forde and Constable 18053 Sherwin Pantlitz as well Crown Taxi Service dispatcher, Vanessa Williams and an taxi driver, Bonny Paul.
The man, who went berserk- Derrick Kanhai- was later shot dead by police, ending a stand-off on the block between Thomas and East Streets that lasted several hours. Police said they recovered one shotgun, one .32 pistol and one .22 pistol.
The man, who was inside the building above the taxi service, was apparently monitoring the situation by a video surveillance system before deciding when to shoot.
Well-placed sources said Kanhai, who was a miner, was a heavy cocaine user. He was having problems with his girlfriend.
The episode forced police to cordon off the block, fire teargas and even ask for aerial reconnaissance by the Guyana Defence Force helicopter."A stand off ensued between the police ranks and Deryck Kanhai as efforts were made to arrest him during which there was exchange of gunfire and the use of tear smoke was also employed by the police," added the police force spokesman.
Latest from Denis Scott Chabrol
- Caribbean News Desk radio prog: Guyana's opposition lashes out at Caricom Chairman... and other stories from across the region
- Caribbean News Desk radio programme for Tue, Dec 16, 2014
- Caribbean News Desk radio programme: Guyana's opposition wants High Court to stop unauthorised govt spending
- Caribbean News Desk radio programme: Transparency activists hit Guyana streets against corruption
- Dominica's ruling party wins 4th straight term with fewer seats