44-year old Mark Lovell of 44 Friendship, East Bank Demerara entered a not guilty plead to the charge which stated that on November 18 at West Ruimveldt, Georgetown, being in the company of another and armed with a gun, he robbed Rico Persaud of one Blackberry cellphone valued $50,000.
An unrepresented Lovell told the court that he is in a common-law relationship and has four children. He went on to say that he is a steelbender as well as an electrician. Lovell also stated that he has had no prior run-ins with the law.
Police Prosecutor Renneta Bentham objecting to bail on the grounds of the seriousness and prevalence of the offence as well as the punishment it attracts and the fact that a gun was used in the commission of the offence. She also said that the defendant may not return to court if granted his pretrial liberty.
The matter was adjourned to December 5 for statements.
Latest from Demerara Waves
- Guyana Goldfields Inc. Pours First Gold at its Aurora Gold Mine
- Chief Constable, Mayor sticking with rules on pregnancy-related dismissals
- GT&T completes first phase of Enhanced BroadbandProject ahead of schedule – new Internet speeds of up to 5x for the same price
- PPP possible salary increase refusal revives PNCR’s 2006 wage increase rejection
- Suspect in killing of Montrose caretaker arrested