44-year old Mark Lovell of 44 Friendship, East Bank Demerara entered a not guilty plead to the charge which stated that on November 18 at West Ruimveldt, Georgetown, being in the company of another and armed with a gun, he robbed Rico Persaud of one Blackberry cellphone valued $50,000.
An unrepresented Lovell told the court that he is in a common-law relationship and has four children. He went on to say that he is a steelbender as well as an electrician. Lovell also stated that he has had no prior run-ins with the law.
Police Prosecutor Renneta Bentham objecting to bail on the grounds of the seriousness and prevalence of the offence as well as the punishment it attracts and the fact that a gun was used in the commission of the offence. She also said that the defendant may not return to court if granted his pretrial liberty.
The matter was adjourned to December 5 for statements.
Latest from Demerara Waves
- Haiti: UN mission chief urges calm, respect for rights in wake of protests
- Antigua and Barbuda now part of OECS free movement system
- Caribbean News Desk radio prog: Guyanese trafficked to work in slave-like conditions in Suriname
- Guyanese businessman arrested allegedly with US$600K in Puerto Rico
- Trinidad police yet to find killers of German couple