She has been identified as 26-year old Jasmattie "Mamo" Dowlatram of Railway Line Dam. Ankervile Port Mourant. Police said the incident occurred Friday night at Ankervillle.
"Investigations so far have revealed that Jasmattie Dowlatram had an argument with a man with whom she shared a relationship and during which he is alleged to have assaulted her about her body with a piece of wood. She succumbed while receiving medical attention at the Port Mourant Hospital," Police Force spokesman, Ivelaw Whittaker said in a statement.
Dowlatram, a mother of five, was allegedly beaten after her boyfriend saw her having a conversation with another man.
After her boyfriend allegedly failed to get her to answer certain questions, he beat her with a piece of wood on her head and other parts of her body until she was unconscious, her relatives said.
He then transported the woman on a cycle to the Port Mourant Hospital where she died. Shoirtly after, police arrested him at the health care institution.
Latest from Denis Scott Chabrol
- Venezuela, Guyana agree to US$100 m PetroCaribe debt write-off
- Guyana working on new youth policy, strategic plan; youths urged to help heal division
- US urges end to discrimination against disabled, consideration of same-sex marriage
- The Bahamas expresses "solidarity" with Caricom countries affected by territorial claims
- Guyana to tell Caricom Venezuela's aggression threatens regional peace- Harmon